The Best Steam Cleaners for Bed Bugs
Bed bugs can be a nuisance and spread different types of skin diseases. Luckily, steam cleaners can help you effectively get rid of them! The high temperature steam removes dust mites as well and you don’t need any chemicals to make this work.
We have reviewed the best steam cleaners for bed bugs and mites right here. Let’s have a look!
Our Top List
McCulloch MC1385 Steam Cleaner for Bed Bugs
Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner
Steamfast SF-370 Canister Steam Cleaner for Bed Bugs
Bissell Power Steamer Heavy Duty
Wagner Spraytech 915e Steam Cleaner
McCulloch MC1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner
- The Best Steam Cleaners for Bed Bugs
- Our Top List
- 1. McCulloch MC1385 Steam Cleaner for Bed Bugs
- 2. Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner to Kill Bed Bugs
- 3. Steamfast SF-370 Canister Steam Cleaner for Bed Bugs
- 4. Bissell Power Bed Bug Steamer
- 5. Wagner Spraytech 915e Steam Cleaner
- 6. McCulloch MC1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner
- What is the best steam cleaner to kill bed bugs?
- McCulloch MC1385
- Bed Bug Steamer Buying Guide
- Steamer for Bed Bugs FAQs
1. McCulloch MC1385 Steam Cleaner for Bed Bugs
This is the best overall steamer to get rid of bed bugs. With the help of accessories such as a floor mop, scrub pad, scrapper, and squeegee that it comes with, killing and getting rid of bed bugs is quite easy.
This device’s tank heats up in less than twelve minutes, and you can use the steam for up to two hours. Since it has a variable steam control, you can get rid of both dirt and grime. Additionally, it comes with an optional steam lock that can allow non-stop steam.
It has a hot four-bar pressure and steam and effectively destroys bacteria and germs. Its 18 feet power cord allows you enhanced reach, as does the steam hose, which is 10 feet long. You will have an easy time accessing tight spots.
- Its tank can hold up to 64 ounces of water.
- It comes with 23 accessories, including an angled nozzle, mop pad, nylon brush, and brass brush.
- It is ideal for cleaning since it does not require the use of aggressive chemicals.
- Offers superior performance
- It has an extra-long power cord and steam hose, allowing you to access hard-to-reach places and improve your maneuverability.
- It handles dust accumulation well.
- It can clean different surfaces, including dashboards, door panels, and fabrics.
- Ideal for cleaning that does not require the use of aggressive chemicals
- The attachments it comes with simplifies cleaning
- Customer service could be better.
2. Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner to Kill Bed Bugs
his is the best-pressurized steam cleaner for bed bugs and is reliable and efficient. It does not require harsh chemicals when cleaning, yet it gets rid of up to 99.99% of germs. The Dupray comes with a range of useful accessories and can be used to clean other surfaces in your home besides killing bed bugs.
It heats up pretty fast and you can use regular tap water in it. It is pretty light, making it easy to move around, and comes with a retractable handle. This device also comes with an in-built funnel, meaning all messes will be kept at bay.
- Offers up to 50 minutes of cleaning time for every fill-up
- It is excellent for floor cleaning, and you can use a regular cloth or towel
- It deodorizes, degreases, and steam cleans different types of surfaces
- It has a large tank capacity that holds up to 54 ounces of water
- It has a long hose and electric cord, allowing you to reach high places and corners
- It is lightweight and portable
It comes with 18 attachments
- It offers chemical-free cleaning
- It can kill up to 99.99% of bedbugs, bacteria, viruses, pathogens, and mold.
- It quickly gets rid of all types of stains
- It has sturdy components
- It can simultaneously get rid of grease and persistent smells
- It has no water gauge level
3. Steamfast SF-370 Canister Steam Cleaner for Bed Bugs
The steamfast is the most lightweight steam cleaner and is equally easy to use. It deep cleans and can quickly get rid of odors and pests. You can use regular tap water when operating this device.
It comes with 15 attachments that perform different tasks. It takes eight minutes to heat up and can give up to 45 minutes of continuous steam. You can use this unit for multi-purpose cleaning.
The Steamfast is pretty affordable, considering it is a high-quality device, and it comes with microfiber pads that you can use on different types of floor surfaces with sealing. It is also free of any unpleasant chemicals and is pretty easy to operate.
- It comes with 15 different types of attachments
- It has a long cord
- It comes with a carrying handle and is compact
- It can hold up to 48 ounces of water
- It comes with a wide array of brushes you can choose from
- It is lightweight
- It heats up pretty quickly
- It has large water storage allowing it to generate steam better
- It is a high-quality device that is also affordable
- Long heating time
4. Bissell Power Bed Bug Steamer
This Bissell model is pretty easy to use, and it is also pretty efficient. It comes with two pads and various attachments. While it does not hold much water, it heats up pretty quickly.
Besides getting rid of bed bugs, it is a multi-purpose cleaner that can even be used to clean your car seats. The attachments are clearly labelled, making it easy to change the heads. This device can also get rid of up to 99.99% of bacteria and germs.
It also has different steam modes and a trigger that allows you to control the amount and intensity of released steam. Additionally, it comes with a wall mount that allows for easy storage. You can use this device both outdoors and indoors.
- It comes with 29 accessories
- It has an on-board accessory storage
- It offers convenient storage
- It has variable steam modes
- It offers chemical-free cleaning
- It is a three-in-one multi-purpose heavy duty cleaner
- It has a high-temperature and powerful steam
- It is durable
- It is excellent for deep cleaning, especially grout
- It is a multi-purpose cleaner
- It heats up pretty quickly
- Shorter hose
5. Wagner Spraytech 915e Steam Cleaner
This steam cleaner is excellent for getting rid of any undesired things like insects from your home. It has eleven attachments that allow you to clean different areas in your home, including showers, sinks, toilets, floors, household appliances, and kitchen countertops. This device is pretty easy to use since you only need to fix it to the attachment you want to use.
It holds 48 ounces of distilled water and takes about five to six minutes to raise its temperature. Besides eliminating bed bugs, you can also use it to get rid of odor from a mattress and clean furniture and floors. It also comes with a nine-foot hose that gives you enough reach into cracks and crevices.
- It has a fast temperature transformation.
- It comes with a trigger lock and offers 40 minutes of continuous steam
- It is excellent for wallpaper removal
- It has a long run time
- It provides chemical-free steam cleaning
- It is pretty easy to use
- It can hold up to 48 ounces of water
- It comes with 18 accessories and nozzles
- It kills bed bugs and their eggs
- It is a sturdy steam cleaner
- It comes with both mopping and steaming attachments
- It is powerful, durable, and lightweight
More heating time
6. McCulloch MC1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner
This McCulloch device easily eliminates stubborn odorsodors and kills bed bugs without using any harmful chemicals. It comes with 18 different attachments and a nine-foot-long hose. It has a compact design that allows you to use it as a bed bug cleaner or a steam mop.
It can hold up to 48 ounces of water to deliver 45 minutes of steam, which is excellent, especially if you are working in a large space. Besides getting rid of bed bugs, you can also use it for different types of cleaning. It comes with a lock trigger option that can steam without constantly having your finger on the trigger.
- It holds up to 48 ounces of water.
- It takes eight minutes to heat up and delivers 45 minutes of continuous steam.It has a long cord allowing for a great reach.
- It has a long cord allowing for a great reach.
- It comes with various accessories, including a squeegee, scrubbing pad, nylon brushes, and floor mops.
- It has a fast heating time
- It has a lock trigger option
- It has a long electric cord and hose
- It comes with various versatile accessories
- Its spare parts are not easily accessible
What is the best steam cleaner to kill bed bugs?
There are plenty of other models to choose from, but the above listed are some of the best steam cleaners for bed bugs on the market. If you want value for your money, it helps to get a multi-purpose steam cleaner. That way, you can still use it to clean other surfaces in your home after getting rid of the bed bugs.
We recommend the McCulloch MC1385 because it has a variable steam control and steams for two hours, unlike most steam cleaners that steam for an average of 40 minutes. It has an 18-foot long cord that allows you to access all the tight spaces. This model also has plenty of other impressive features to offer.
Bed Bug Steamer Buying Guide
Choosing the best steam cleaner for bed bugs can be a daunting process since every company claims their product is the best. However, this process does not have to be complicated. For starters, knowing the typical features a steam cleaner should have will make this process easier.
The features you want in a steam cleaner for bed bugs may vary from individual to individual, but the bottom line is, everyone wants a steam cleaner that can effectively and safely kill bed bugs. Below are some of the factors you should consider when purchasing a steam cleaner for bed bugs.
While there are no standard safety features in a steam cleaner for bed bugs except for instructions and recommendations on operating it, it helps to follow them. It is worth noting that hot steam can damage your carpets, furniture, and even you if you do not follow the instructions.
It helps to factor in how long a steam cleaner takes to warm up. You should get one that warms up in a couple of minutes. This is because the longer a steam cleaner takes to warm up, the more electricity it consumes.
The Length of the Hose and Electricity Cord
You must purchase a steam cleaner that has a longer hose and electricity cord because a shorter cord limits you since the device will have to be close to an electric port at all times. Having a shorter hose means your machine is not practical, making it hard for you to kill bed bugs.
The Machine’s Weight When It is Filled
This is an equally crucial factor to consider before purchasing a steam cleaner. You want a machine that is portable even when it is filled with water. This makes it easier to maneuver the steam cleaner, and you can also easily lift it from one point to the other.
When purchasing a steam cleaner, ensure you chose one that has as many accessories as possible. The more accessories it comes with, the more tasks you can perform with your steam cleaner. For instance, you can steam clean your home without necessarily using chemicals that can cause a health hazard or damaged upholstery.
Ensure that it has a triangular nozzle since this is vital for steaming beds. Most models come with a pointed, broad nozzle to deal with different surfaces and upholstery. Utilize it and always ensure it is fixed in place before you turn your steam cleaner on.
The Tank’s Size
You will have to stop cleaning should the tank run out before you are done. This means that you will have to keep going back and forth to fill the steam cleaner with water and wait for it to heat up before you proceed with cleaning. This can be time-consuming, and you can easily avoid this by getting a machine with a large tank.
The temperature of your steam cleaner should at least be between 117 to 122 Fahrenheit if you want to get rid of bed bugs from your mattress. Bed bugs and their eggs cannot survive once you blast them at this temperature. Luckily, most, if not all, steam cleaners reach these temperatures and maintain them through the tank of water’s life.
However, avoid using clothes steam cleaners and carpet steam cleaners since they will not suffice. It is unlikely that they will reach the optimal temperature to kill the bed bug’s eggs, which are more resilient.
How To Get Rid of Bed Bugs With a Steamer
One of the best ways to get rid of bed bugs is through heat-treating, and it also helps to get extermination services. Below are a few valuable tips you can employ.
Carry Out a Thorough Bed Bug Inspection
Inspect your entire home and find where bed bugs like to hide since it is vital to know what you have to treat. Ensure you check your furniture, carpeting, sheets, cushions, pillows, box springs, and mattress stitching.
Thoroughly Clean Your House
Thoroughly cleaning your home helps minimize places where bed bugs can hide. Declutter and vacuum your carpet, furniture, and mattresses to get rid of debris and dirt. You are likely to suck up some of these pests in the process.
It also helps to treat your car for bed bugs.
Link Your Steamer’s Nozzle
Triangular nozzles are the best to use when steaming bed bugs. They often sufficiently heat a surface when they get close to it and cover a larger area, making the job quicker. It will help if you use a microfiber cloth since it directs the steam to the specific area you want to steam.
When the steamer heats up, you can start steaming, but first, point the nozzle into a container and start the steamer. This helps get rid of any water. Once you have done that, you can begin steaming.
Take your time to ensure the surface has sufficient time to heat up and the steam thoroughly penetrates the crevice or fabric. To ensure that you get the bed bugs, do twelve inches every thirty seconds.
Operate your steamer on medium or low pressure since using high pressure can blow the pests away. Always cool the steamer when you are done and ensure you also relieve the pressure as per the instructions.
Always Dry the Areas You Have Treated
You can use a fan to fasten the drying process of the treated fabrics and furniture. Install a bed bug mattress encasement since it helps protect your treated mattress from another infestation. You can remove the encasement once you confirm you no longer have a bed bug problem.
It would also help wrap them in thick plastic for at least two weeks afterward, ensuring any surviving pests die.
Repeat this process in a week if you still see bed bugs.
Steamer for Bed Bugs FAQs
Should I dispose of my mattress if I have bed bugs?
It would be best not to throw out your mattress if you have bed bugs since it can pose a problem. This is because the bed bugs may go to different parts of your home when moving the mattress to get rid of it. Instead, it would be best to hire a professional exterminator to help get rid of the bed bugs.
What do bed bugs dislike?
Several types of odours seem to put off bed bugs. They particularly hate peppermint, tea tree, and lavender oil fragrances.
Does steam kill bed bugs?
Steam can instantly kill bed bugs and also destroy all their eggs. It helps to ensure that you have thoroughly steamed the surface to prevent bed bugs from recurring.
Can a steam cleaner eliminate bed bugs?
Yes, a steam cleaner can eliminate bed bugs and any other insects, including their eggs. It can kill bed bugs that are on a surface, and it can also kill those that are hiding inside nooks and crannies. When done effectively, you may never have to deal with a bed bug problem again.